Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Salmonella Scare: PB, Pistachios; Swine Flu!! What next??


I just bought Peanut Butter for the first time EVER and as luck would have had it, I came across a couple of articles about the Salmonella scare that is doing rounds in USA lately. As the PB I had got was from an American Company, I had every right to be concerned. After reading a series of horrifying posts about people who were suffering from severe symptoms that pointed towards food poisoning, I decided the most logical thing to do was to throw it away. I decided to tell my dad about it, lest he decided to take a scoop from the bottle.

Me: I'm going to to throw away the Peanut Butter
Dad (trying to comprehend why on earth I would want to do that): Huh? Why?
Me: I don't know. I just read that FDA is recalling all Peanut based products. I'm not sure which specific brands are involved
Dad: Why are you throwing it away, I'll return it tomorrow.
Me: I don't think so. There hasn't been any case of Salmonella contamination in India. They won't take it back.
Dad: You mean it isn't contaminated?
Me: um... No?
Dad: Why were we throwing it out again?
Me: :|

I'm guessing I'm just being my usual hyper self. I just want these jerks to stop inventing new diseases before I have a coronary! OK, I'm glad that the human mind is discovering new diseases every day (No,I'm not being sarcastic) And even if we haven't found the cure to every disease, we don't wander around not knowing the truth behind our not-so-perfect bodily conditions.Besides, my fear about the PB being contaminated melted away when Pistachios became the next Salmonella victim, then Alfalfa Sprouts. After that, I decided that it was time to stop keeping track of the diseases dwelling in another continent, buy desi stuff and forget about it.
Now I'll just fret about the onset of Swine Flu :/

No comments:

Post a Comment